In 2016, the AFL Goulburn Murray Commission committed to the development of a Youth Football Academy for the benefit of individuals, clubs, interleague and junior coaches. The Goulburn Murray has a strong history in nurturing talented players.
With the landscape of junior representative football evolving, including:
- VLine Cup now in September
- Parental expectations
- TAC Cup feedback
- Youth Girls Academy success
A need was identified to provide a quality teaching and learning environment for talented players in the region. Feedback from TAC Cup Talent Managers and coaches highlighted the need for an Academy program to help bridge the gap between club football and talented player pathways.
The emphasis was to be on both playing and coaching with key focus areas to:
- Provide quality based player development to support interleague
- Provide a ‘program’ focus to interleague
- Increase club playing standards and competencies
- Streamline the coaching process and pathway