On the back of unprecedented growth of female football and the launch of the AFLW in February 2017 the two Goulburn Murray and Central Victoria Commissions instigated the establishment of a joint women’s league to build on current Youth Girls competitions and to offer a participation opportunity for local women.
As a result the MBCM Northern Country Women’s League kicked off in 2017 with Goulburn Murray clubs Benalla Saints, Echuca, Mooroopna and Shepparton joining Central Victoria’s Bendigo Thunder, Kyneton and North Bendigo with Central Murray’s Kerang rounding off the eight team League.
After the success of the first season the two Commissions have decided to split the partnership with both AFL Central Victoria with AFL Goulburn Murray launching their own competitions in 2018.
The competition is managed by the AFL Goulburn Murray office with the Advisory Committee overseeing its governance. The Advisory Committee is a subcommittee of the AFL Goulburn Murray Commission.
NCWL Advisory Committee (NCWLAC)
To best govern and represent the interests of all clubs, the Advisory Committee will consist of six members:
- One Commissioner
- One AFL Goulburn Murray Football Development Manager
- One AFL Central Murray representative (whilst AFLCM clubs are in the competition
– Up to two representatives from the local football community with nominations available to the general football community o Appointments to the NCWLAC are made by the Commission and are for a two year term.
– AFL Goulburn Murray League Operations Officer (ex officio)
The Advisory Committee would have the following areas of responsibility:
- Oversee the management of the competition on behalf of the AFL Goulburn Murray Commission
- Provide strategic direction to the competition and its development
- Deliberate on disputes and resolve any issues that are outside the scope of the competition By Laws
- Provide input into the appointment of the League Operations Officer who will provide administrative services to the competition
- Represent the interests of member clubs as a collective
- Oversee the competition’s budget, including the sourcing and servicing of sponsors
- Report back to the Commission on any relevant matters pertaining to the running of the competition
- Manage the meetings of clubs
The Advisory Committee will meet as per their discretion.
Nominations are now open for the two community representatives with nominees requested to download the form here NCWL Advisory Committee Nomination Form, complete and return to AFL Goulburn Murray Region General Manager Martin Gleeson by Friday 16 February.